For Winter Break, I've decided to take a break. Why?
To pause and reflect on what I've achieved in just over 3 months of blogging. "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" is averaging over 1,100 new visitors a month. People from all over the world are coming to this blogsite (33 countries and counting!)
To plan where I want "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" to go in 2008!
To catch up on some serious reading, and catch up with myself.
There's a great metaphor called filling the well - the idea being that if you've spent all this time dipping into and taking from the creative well, you also need to take the time (and do fun, artistic and inspiring things) to fill it again.
...Count on my being back with 5 posts a week starting Monday January 7, 2008!
So, while I'm filling the well, enjoy a long drink of all the cool stuff that's already here on "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Here are 7 different brews to quench your thirst!
1. Find and Read a GLBTQ Teen Book. Heck, read Two!
There are 168 books with GLBTQ Teen Characters or Themes listed here on this blogsite. So far 54 of those books have posts up (14 of them with reader reviews!)
2. Learn Some Amazing Things about GLBTQ History and Herstory - and enjoy some great poems, too - There are 15 fabulous and Bitchin' Queer Quotes and Poems to explore on:
Native American Lesbian Marriage Ceremonies, Serpent Mound, and the KOSKALAKA's special powers
"Woman Chief of the Crows," A Famous Lesbian American Indian
Gay Lovers and Adventurers who traveled the world by balloon!
The First Gay Spy
The First Gay Science Fiction Story Ever
An Ancient Gay Love Story Discovered!
A Bisexual Pharaoh Who Ruled 4,300 Years Ago!
Celtic Men and the Origins of the word "Horny!"
"Bulldike," Celtic Lesbian Warriors and Queen Boudica's War
"Winkte" is the Sioux word for a Gay Man
The Mystical Homoerotic Poetry of Rumi (birthday countdown 3, birthday countdown 2 and birthday countdown 1)
The Amazing Lesbian Poem "Athens"
3. Get inside my mind a bit, with my personal take on things close to my heart, from GLBTQ Teens to Kid Lit. There are 12 mini-essays (Lee's Musings) to peruse:
Three Great Gifts for the Holidays that are FREE!
On Thanksgiving and Families - The Ones You Get and The Ones You Create
On Veterans Day, Gay Soldiers, and the Myth of Gay Sissyhood
It's a Small Queer World After All
On Halloween: Masks and the Space to be Ourselves
Why I write: Pyramids, Stories, Magic and learning how to SPELL
On Where to Buy It/Get It
On Self-Publishing and Graphic Novels
On Banned Books Week and GLBTQ Teen Novels
Parsing the "Q"
The Gay Best Friend: On Secondary Characters
4. Check out my essay on Coming Out and all the resource Links under "Coming Out? Check out:" to the right. From inspiration to hope, from "how-to" to scholarship opportunities, there's a world of resources to help you!
5. Check out the blogs of my amazingly talented friends and fellow writers, Links also to the right.
6. Explore "More On Authors" to read about
Alex Sanchez: Notes From a Reading
Perry Moore in People magazine - Gay, Proud and a "Hero!"
6. Join In! It's a DIALOG, not a monologue. Add your take to one of the essays. Share a cool related fact in a post on Bitchin' Queer Quotes and Poems. Add a review to a book you've read. This is what the "comments" section of every single post is for! This is my blogsite, but the intent is for it to be a gathering place for OUR community - and for that I hope to have you continue to participate!
7. Celebrate! Take a moment to celebrate how far we've all come... and vision how far we'll go in the next year!
I wish you and yours wonderful happy and healthy holidays - and here's to a fantastic NEW YEAR!