Thursday, January 6, 2011
Hi Everyone, and welcome to the first day of a completely NEW way to be part of the community of bloggers about Children's Literature.
For the next 21 days, MotherReader and I challenge YOU to leave 5 comments a day on different blogs that you read.
Research shows that it takes 21 days to form a new habit, and the habit we're going for is engagement in our COMMUNITY.
How do you find the blogs?
Here are five tried and true ways to get to 5 comments a day:
1. Blog leap-frog. Go to a blog, like this one, or MotherReader's. Scan the links list of blogs we love, and click on over. Then, click on THAT blog's links to the blogs they love. You'll get to five fast!
2. Dive into the amazing resource of the Bloggers' Carnival of Children's Literature - check out the links to past blog posts and look at the current posts as well!
Here's December's hosted by Lori Calabrese
November, hosted by Wendy Wax
and check out all the carnivals, past and present - and think about submitting your own article for January's carnival here, at Anastasia Suen's Carnival of Children's Literature Information Hub.
3. Do a google blog search on a topic that fascinates YOU. Go here.
4. Browse the extensive blog lists over at KidLitosphere Central's member pages, with lists of:
Bloggers in Children’s and Young Adult Literature,
Author and Illustrator Blogs,
and Publisher/Editor/Group Blogs.
It's an amazing resource.
5. Check out the list of fellow Comment Challenge participants at the sign-in post over at MotherReader's. These are your fellow kid lit bloggers, and it would be great to spread the commenting love in the group!
What do you say in a comment?
Don't get caught up in the feeling that you have to craft an entire essay in response to a blog post. If a certain point the blogger made resonated for you, that's great to share. If you agree, or (respectfully) disagree, that's great to share as well. The idea is to engage in a conversation - to say, yeah, I hear you. Thanks for telling us what you think - here's what I think...
What's in it for you?
The benefits of participating in The Comment Challenge:
1. You'll discover a lot of great new blogs that interest you.
2. More people will discover YOUR blog (two or three good comments will have people clicking back to see what you blog about!)
3. You'll feel more connected with the community of children's literature bloggers - and over the course of being part of this challenge, it will become YOUR community, too!
4. There will even be some prizes! Including random winners pulled from commenters who check in at the one- and two-week marks here! (Look for those posts, January 12 and January 19)
So what are you waiting for? Go check out some amazing children's literature blogs, and start tallying up your comments...
Just click on over to MotherReader and leave us a comment saying you're "IN" and taking the challenge.
And hey, if you comment here as well, you'll only have 3 more comments to go for today!