Hi there! I’m Soraya, this summer’s intern, and I’ll be entering my senior year of high school in September. I’m very excited to be working with “I’m Here, I’m Queer, What the Hell Do I Read?” this summer! As an ally to the GLBTQ community, I think it’s really important to reinforce the fact that there are people who go through the same experiences and that nobody’s alone. We as people tend to lose sight of the fact that many people have stories for us to learn and grow from. I’ll be writing reviews on a wide range of biographies and memoirs from GLBTQ celebrities and activists, so keep your eyes peeled for those! Thanks for reading!
So here's what we've got so far of the still-coming together list of GLBTQ Biographies and Memoirs that Soraya will review this summer:
1) Transition: The Story of How I Became A Man - Chaz Bono
2) Me - Ricky Martin
3) Man in the Middle- John Amaechi
4) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas- Gertrude Stein
5) Ellen: The Real Story of Ellen Degeneres- Kathleen Tracy
6) Just Kids- Patti Smith
7) Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer- Chely Wright
8) The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist and Sexual Renegade- Justin Spring
9) Unbearable Lightness- Portia de Rossi
10) Naked- David Sedaris (he's one of my favorite authors, EVER)
11)The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk- Randy Shilts
12)Deflowered: My Life in the Pansy Division- Jon Ginoli
Do you know about a great GLBTQ Biography or Memoir of great teen interest that Soraya should consider adding to her list? Let us know in comments!
Congratulations to Soraya on getting the internship, and to all of us, because we're going to find out about some great queer non-fiction this summer!